August 19, 2015

Janine's Indian Chicken

She shared this recipe with me a little while back.
I've made it a few times and my family approves.  Heartily.

No complaints and clean plates all around.

In honour of it's roots, it's been dubbed "Janine's Indian Chicken".
I've tweaked and adjusted in order to land on our favourite combination.
Adapt it to your liking.  You really can't go wrong.


What you need:

2 medium Sweet Potatoes (often referred to as Yams) ~ chopped and roasted
1 medium head Cauliflower ~ chopped and roasted
Olive Oil for roasting

3 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 large boneless, skinless Chicken Breast ~ cubed
2 small yellow cooking Onions ~ diced
6 cloves fresh Garlic ~ minced
1/4 cup fresh Ginger ~ minced
8 to 10 medium sized nugget Potatoes ~ quartered

4 tsp Garam Masala
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Turmeric
1 Tbsp Coriander
1 tsp Cardamom
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 tsp Sea Salt

1 tin (14 oz or 400 ml) Coconut Cream (or Coconut Milk)
1 tin (14 oz or 400 ml) Tomato Sauce (plain)
1 tin (6 oz or 170 g) Tomato Paste
5 cups Chicken Broth

10 to 12 Campari Tomatoes ~ quartered
1 cup Heavy Cream ~ room temperature
 Raisins and Shredded Coconut for garnish


What you do:

Clean and chop the cauliflower and sweet potatoes.
Arrange on a parchment lined jelly roll pan or baking dish.
Drizzle with olive oil and roast at 425 degrees F for approximately 30 minutes.
The veggies should be tender and just browning on the edges when done.
Remove from the oven and set aside until they are needed.

Measure out the heavy cream and set on the counter.

Meanwhile, in a large pot (10 Quart or bigger),
pour in the 3 Tbsp Olive Oil and set to medium heat.
When the oil is hot, toss in the onions and cubed chicken meat.
Stir fry a few minutes and add the minced garlic and ginger.
Stir fry a few minutes longer until the onion is translucent and
the chicken meat is turning white.

Mix all the dry spices together and add all at once to the chicken mixture
along with the diced nugget potatoes.
Stir and cook a few minutes more.
If your ingredients are sticking to the bottom of the pan,
reduce the heat to low and continue to stir.

Add in the coconut cream, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and chicken stock.
At this point, add in the roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes.
Turn heat to medium-high and bring everything to a simmer.
Simmer, covered with lid slightly ajar, for 30 to 40 minutes to allow
flavours to mingle and the potatoes to cook through.  Stir occasionally.

In the last five minutes, add in the campari tomatoes and cream.
Be sure to add the cream slowly, while stirring, so it does not curdle.
(I have found it helps to temper the cream with some of the hot sauce
prior to committing it to the pot.)

Taste and check for salt.  We usually just add more at the table.
Serve with raisins and coconut over a bed of rice.
This recipe makes enough for ten (or more?) hungry people.
It freezes well if the need should arise.
However, it is super yummy the next day and the next day after that.
(Freeze for longer storage.)

Always reheat to the boiling point and simmer a few minutes
prior to serving any leftovers.  Always a good rule to follow.

Happy Cooking!!

With Love,
Camille

13 comments:

Pam said...

Sounds delicious Camille. My daughter Marie makes a Coconut Chicken Curry that reminds me a little of this. She has made it for me a couple of times, and it is delicious. Its wonderful that you can share cooking ideas with your sister, and she with you.
Hugs,
Pam

Esther said...

I really want to try this but my family is so unadventurous. I guess I could freeze the leftovers in individual portions and have meals for quite sometime! You always make it look sooooo good!!! Thanks for sharing!

Camille said...

Pam ~ Yum!! Anything with coconut milk/cream is a win in my books!! So glad you have your girls to share recipes/food with my friend. Hugs to you. :)

Esther ~ What?! Not adventurous?? That is not how I view your family. Yes, make it for yourself and enjoy. Or, better yet...come here and I will make it for you. Hugs! :)

With love,
Camille

Debbie Harris said...

Camille~ this looks wonderful delicious! Quite the combination, but if you say it goes over well with your family, I must give it a try. :-)
Isn't it fun swapping recipes? :-)
Enjoy your weekend~ Debbie

Farming On Faith said...

It looks amazing. I love your measurements ~ "tin." I have had an amazing summer. Trying to get back to my groove. Are you starting school soon?

I did enjoy my first trip to Canada ~ beautiful.

I am teaching for our Homeschool group this year for Enrichment Classes. I am so missing the back to school excitement. It will be great fun to teach art this year.

Camille said...

Debbie ~ It is Indian Cuisine, so, if you prefer less heat in your food, cut back on the cayenne pepper. I do hope you like it. :)

Carrie ~ What a blessing that you found a niche for your talents my friend. I am sure you will be a blessing to others as you embark on this new venture. :)

Hugs,
Camille

Linda said...

Hello Camille,
I pray you and your family are doing good.
It has been some time since I dropped by and have not been blogging despite wanting to! So busy and currently in vacation in Las Vegas. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Praying for you and your family.
Love and hugs to you sweet friend.💕

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Looks amazing!

Camille said...

Linda ~ It's always a blessing to hear from you my friend. Hugs to you! :)

Jackie ~ It is...truly. You gonna give it a try? :)

With love,
Camille

Kelly-Anne said...

Hmmm...Camille, I just have to try this delicious sounding recipe...I love anything Indian, and I even have all the ingredients on hand...how wonderful!
Many blessings and joy to you!
Kelly-Anne

Camille said...

Kelly-Anne ~ I do hope you like it! It's what's for dinner tonight. Enjoy! Blessings, Camille

Jennifer Jo said...

I made this for our supper. Not much chicken, no white potatoes, no cream, lots of sweet potatoes, plus peas. Very delicious!!!

Camille said...

Jennifer Jo ~ SO glad you approve!! It's one of our favourites. Happy Fall to you. :) Hugs, Camille